I once again failed to take a photo before I sat down to eat, but this was too tasty not to share (and simple! Oh-so-simple.) Feel free to change out sausage type or seasonings according to your whim.
Sausage and Mushrooms
- 1 link Italian Sausage, sliced. I used Garlic & Parmesan, because it was leftover and we still do dairy, but it’s really not going to matter.
- 1 sm sweet onion, diced
- 4 mushrooms. I used plain ol’ white mushrooms.
- 1 T butter, for frying
- 1 t olive oil, for frying
- Italian Seasoning, crushed, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Splash of broth or wine, for deglazing
- salt and pepper, for serving
- Melt your butter in a mid-sized skillet.
- Over med-low heat, caramelize your onions (~30 min). About mid-way through the caramelization, add your Italian seasoning and your red pepper flakes.
- Once the onions are ready (or at the point when the smell makes you drool and you look in the pan and say good enough), add your mushrooms. Saute until they begin to soften.
- Add the sausage and turn the heat up to med-high.
- Once the sausage is brown, splash in a little of your broth and continue to cook over med-high heat, scraping frequently with the spatula, until the broth has reduced to where you like it.
- Plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
If you try it, I’d love to know what you think!
Comments on “Sausage and Mushrooms”
I’m terrible at remembering to take photos of my meals too before I start devouring it. I like the sound of this, I’ll have ti try it sometime. I recently did something similar with sliced bell peppers, two Spanish seasoned sausage and a small sliced onion. I sliced the sausage and just put the whole lot in the oven to bake for about 30 minutes.